Monday, February 27, 2012

Chorizo & Chicken Paella

The Lowdown:

This week has been less than forgiving as far as time goes. It started off on a great note. An abscessed tooth. Believe me, the last thing on your mind is food when you're dealing with this lovely little package of hatred and destruction. It also ended on a great note too. A wedding. Normally a time for joy and holy connection. However, the only thing going through my head was holy *%$#. The pain, swelling, and black eye from the infection were enough to make me want to close all my blinds and pretend I was Quasimodo. That being said, if there is one thing more painful than dealing with an abscessed tooth, it is the wrath of a girlfriend that had to go solo to a wedding. Dentistry and penicillin can take care of tooth issues, but next to Dr. Phil, nothing can take care of a woman's anger towards her perfect boyfriend (that's me)

Having to do a post every Tuesday, I caught my flight and dreamed about flavourful food the entire flight home. The last image in my mind was a great Spanish dish that my mother made for me a while ago. Weird name, great food. Not to mention simple. Simple is the key after this week.

Anyway, I'm boring myself. First stop, pint-o-beer at the Garrick's Head Pub. Longwood Chocolate Porter to be exact. Second stop, grocery store. Third stop, kitchen. Flavour at last.

The Playlist:

(Printable Recipe) 

6 Hot Italian sausages, cubed (or chorizo).
6 Chicken thighs, with skin and bones.
1 cup onion, chopped.
1 Red bell pepper, chopped.
2 Tomatoes, chopped.
4 cloves Garlic, minced.
3 1/2 cups Chicken broth
2 cups Rice
1 Bay leaf
1 tbsp Smoked Hungarian paprika.
2 tbsp Olive oil.
1 tsp thyme, dried (I substituted 5 leaves of fresh sage).

OPTIONAL
8 Clams
8 Prawns, deshelled (leave tail on).

The Skinny:

1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
2. Add sausage and cook until browned.
3. Add chicken breast, skin down, and cook until browned then flip.
4. Add onion and red pepper and cook until soft.
5. Add tomatoes, stock, spices, and rice.
6. Cover and cook for 25-35 minutes on medium heat (all liquid should be soaked into rice).
7. Add clams and prawns to mixture and cook until clams open and prawns turn pink.
8. Enjoy this simple recipe, and resume your boring life.


 Stay Rad - H
  
Found on Chef in TrainingBlessed with GraceFeeding Four , Mandy's Recipe Box,  

No comments:

Post a Comment