Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Spiced Red Wine Poached Pears

The Lowdown:



I'm not sure if it's because school is nearing, or if it's because summer is slowly fading away, or it's because some of my closest friends are moving away, but for some reason I have lost my drive and motivation to cook. It's almost as if a forcefield or warding spell was erected around my kitchen, like garlic to a vampire (not the fruity type of vampires that seem to be all the rage these days, the real vampires that used to cause nightmares). Not only have I stopped cooking, but shopping has taken a hit as well. My freezer is as empty as I've ever seen it. Who would have thought that a cooking funk was a real ailment.

By no means did this recipe get me over the cooking funk, but it was easy. Yes, that is the only reason that I did it. Although poached pears are delicious. Okay, so there were two reasons. Plus pears are in season now so their flavours are so much more pronounced. Okay, okay, so there was three reasons. Either way, it was easy and simple enough to get done despite a bad case of the cooking funks.

I'm not going to lie, I may also have a case of the writing funks too. So for that, I'm going to leave this short. Well, they say a photo is worth a thousand words, so I'll add a few of those to get my word count up. Enjoy. When my cooking/writing funks are over I will bless you with my regular sour wit. Cheers. 




The Playlist:

1 bottle Shiraz (minus a glass for yourself)
1 cup Organic cane sugar
1 tbsp Cinnamon
2 tbsp Vanilla
1 tbsp Allspice
4 Anjou pears, pealed/halved/cored













The Skinny:

  1. Combined all of the ingredients in a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling add pears and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer to 8-10 minutes per side (or if fully submerged cook for 15-20 minutes).
  2. When pears are soft to poke with a fork, remove from heat and allow to sit. The longer they sit the more flavourful and colourful they will be.
  3. Reheat pears in liquid then remove pears and simmer the wine down to about half of the original volume.
  4. Serve pears with a bit of the wine syrup (apparently blue cheese goes well with this too).

Stay Rad -h

Featured on:  Chef in Training, Premeditated Leftovers, 33 Shades of Green, Food Renegade,

2 comments:

  1. I have a pear tree that is so loaded with pears I am afraid the branches are going to break. A lot of the pears will be canned or made into pear sauce, but I will definitely have to try this elegant recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elegant maybe? Either way, they were pretty good. Think this winter I'll make a warm sangria the same way (just more wine).

      -h

      Delete