Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Oven Baked Kneadless Bread

The Lowdown:

How many times have you wished you could make fresh bread without all the hassle? Oh god. That sounds like it should be on a cheesy infomercial. "Are you sick and tired of bread baking taking over your life? Do you no longer get laid at night? Do headaches ruin your camping trips? Well then, have we got an offer for you! But wait, there's more! If you order now, we'll throw in this completely useless clip-on reading light for when you're baking in the dark. Side effects may include lycanthropy and/or feeling like a complete idiot when you look at your Visa statement."


I'm not sure where this recipe originated, but it was given to me by my lovely Nan. I know this post is supposed to be a combined effort between blogs where you look at other blogs and recreate one of their lovely recipes; however, I'm not here right now, and this message will self-destruct in five seconds. Well, actually it wont, as this isn't Inspector Gadget after all. But at this moment in time, I am either passed out on the beach, sipping on a hurricane, or swimming in crystal blue water. For that reason, instead of searching blogs for a recipe, I am recreating one of my Nan's. This is good for two reasons, I already have the recipe and I'll remain in her will after she reads this post.

 As you may know by now I'm not the most enthusiastic person when it comes to spending a lot of time doing one task. Impatience is the spice of life in my world. For this reason, bread was never something I ever even considered making. Seriously, who has the time to kneed, set, kneed, set, and whatever the rest of the process is. I barely have enough time to bore you with these posts, let alone spend 10 hours making a batch of bread. This is why this recipe was such a major breakthrough in my kitchensphere (the kitchen's version of an atmosphere. Its characteristics are similar to earth's; however, the hydrological cycle is much different).

If you have the same problem with time constraints, I hope you enjoy this easy, and highly customizable, version of bread making.

The Playlist:

3 cups Flour (I use 1 cup rye and 2 cups wholewheat)
1 3/4 cups Water
2 1/2 tsp Yeast (put into 1/8 cup water with a 1/2 tsp sugar)

The Skinny:

  1. Prime the yeast by putting it in the water and sugar mixture. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
  2. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl (or just dump it in and mix with a fork).
  3. Add the yeast slurry and water into the flour and mix until a ball has formed. This bread will be quite tacky. Cover with cling wrap and allow to sit for 5 hours.
  4. Put a generous amount of flour on a dry surface and coat the dough ball. This will make the bread less tacky.

    If you'd like add anything to the bread now is the time. Flatten the bread and add your extras then fold it to disperse it throughout the dough ball.

    A few of my favourites are: jalapenos and cheddar, rosemary and course pepper, and cinnamon and raisin.
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350*
  2. Put the dough in a greased bread pan and allow to sit for 1 hour.
  3. Bake for 45 minutes then remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.




Stay Rad - h

Featured in: Mandy's Recipe Box 33 Shades of Green Chef in Training Food Renegade  

No comments:

Post a Comment